I love all things entertainment. From music to movies and television to sports. Being able to create art is my passion and dream.

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Contrast, Balance, and Harmony

When I first saw this picture I immediately looked to the little girl.  Now I can say it's because of the contrast between her white dress and the black of the other people's clothes and the bellowing smoke.  Even her black hair against the white of the sky is showing contrast, but that is not why I was.

http://tmcnewpeople.wordpress.com/category/anti-war/
I could say it is because of the lines or the golden mean that I was drawn to her face.  All of which help to balance out this picture.  Once again though that is not what grabbed my attention.  As for harmony, I feel that there is a lack of it.  The picture seems to capture a moment of chaos.

What it was that drew me to the girl's face is the fact that I am a father.  My daughter is a little older than this girl, but not much.  The filling I get when my daughter is scared is heart wrenching.  When I saw this picture I felt that feeling.  This little girl is scared.  She lives in a war zone.  The sounds of explosions and gun fire scare most adults.  No child should have to grow up under those conditions, but some have no choice.  Anytime people see a child crying they feel something in their heart and the photographer knows that.  This picture is powerful because of it's balance, contrast, and lack of harmony, but the message that it conveys is even more powerful.

1 comment: